UA-20248021-6

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Child Portrait Watercolor Painting Process and Techniques - Continued

Now we're well into the UGLY stage!
I keep my reference photo handy to check to see if the shapes and placements are accurate.

 
I started to put the scrollwork under the fountain and tone down the bright tiles with a wash of gray.

 
Continuing more of the stonework, I shape up the bowl of the fountain, put the right step in, and add more greens to the stone. For this, I use the technique called "scumbling." After I fill my brush with paint, I wick off excess water on a paper towel, and then hold the brush on its side as I drag it across the paper. I let the 300 lb. thick rag Arches watercolor paper do the rest. You can see the results on the stone steps.
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I love how these things come together.

    I have no talent in that direction, mind you; but I love how they come together. :-)

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I'd be just delighted if you left me a comment!